Skip to main content

Shining Cartography - Shining in the Darkness - Part 2

Unfortunately for this session, I was not able to make progress into the next trial. Here's why...

Ay caramba!

So as I was mapping out the new area past the false wall on the first floor, I noticed the path in the upper right corner was going to travel along side another path. This triggered an "uh oh" in my mind because I knew I messed up the space count somewhere. I traced back to my recent drawings, but found no issue with it. I decided to consult a guide and found two problems I found on my map...

Those two red circles indicate a miscount in space and caused the map to extend one space to the left and right. Doh. Sadly, trying to fix this mistake would essentially make me re-do 90% of the map, so I decided to start this floor from scratch with a new fresh coat of paint.

Behold, my new monstrosity!

It's alive!

So yes, I re-drew Level 1 with updated icons and fixed the spacing. All is well now. I do plan to create a separate notation sheet and add a little bit of art zest to it. Also, I decided to still go pencil with this one because I still had undiscovered parts on the map and I don't trust myself to go at it mistake free.

With a correct map to use, I can now make my way to the next trial. Hopefully I won't make another silly mistake like that again. See you in the next one!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shining Cartography - Shining in the Darkness - Part 1

Welcome to the Shining Cartography series. In this series I will be mapping out selected games in the Shining series:  Shining in the Darkness, Shining Force, Shining Force 2, Shining Force CD and Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict. I've decided to include SitD because of its first-person dungeon crawler design, which makes good practice to improve and standardized my mapping aptitude. Also, its story is closely tied to the Shining Force  games and finishing these games are on my bucket list. I'm a huge Shining Force fan and these games are the reason why I'm obsessed with strategy RPGs. Mapping out video games is an interesting and enjoyable hobby of mine and I genuinely look forward to drawing and playing these wonderful games. This is a huge project to embark on, which will essentially take me quite a bit of time to finish, especially with my limited free time. The plan is to work on this project a couple of hours one day per week and update this blog along with it.